Requirements for Scholarships Commencing in 2023
Open to Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Australia, wishing to commence enrolment in Term 1, 2023.
- Applications open on Friday, 1 October 2021 and close on Friday, 4 February 2022. Late applications will not be considered.
- AAS scholarship examinations will be held at Tara on Saturday, 19 February 2022.
- Music auditions will be held at Tara on Wednesday, 23 February 2022.
- AAS registration fee $130, payable at the time of registration.
- All scholarship applicants must sit the academic examination. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview with our Principal during Term 1, 2022. Successful applicants will be required to complete an application for enrolment, incurring the current application and acceptance fees.
- Students who commence at Tara on a scholarship are expected to continue their enrolment until Year 12 graduation.
Academic Assessment Services (AAS) have been providing academic assessment services to schools for over 40 years. The AAS Scholarship program assesses students in:
- Abstract Reasoning and Problem Solving – this test assesses the ability to reason with and analyse information using verbal, mathematical, figural and spatial concepts.
- Mathematics Achievement and Reasoning – for Primary and Junior Secondary students these tests assess curriculum related mathematics tasks and mathematical reasoning tasks. Middle and Senior Secondary students are assessed on mathematics reasoning tasks. These are different to curriculum based mathematics and focus on problem solving skills.
- Reading Comprehension – this test assesses the ability to remember, locate, analyse, evaluate, derive and combine text propositions with fiction and non fiction texts of increasing complexity.
- Written Expression – this test assesses students’ facility with written language. A stimulus is provided for students to produce a piece of writing in a particular genre (e.g. narrative or argument) depending on the requirements of the School.
For more information on test preparation please visit the AAS website.
Academic Scholarships are awarded each year to applicants commencing in Years 7 or 9, open to both current Tara students and external applicants, who demonstrate academic excellence in the scholarship examination, and at interview can discuss their ability to make a positive and significant contribution to the life of the School.
Music Scholarships are awarded each year to applicants commencing in Year 7, open to both current Tara students and external applicants who demonstrate or are working towards one or more of the following proficiencies, supported by an AMEB, Trinity or equivalent certificate i.e. the applicant can be working on the Grades outlined above in the year of audition.
- Piano at Grade 6 or above; or
- Oboe, Bassoon, Viola, Double bass, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Percussion or Voice at a sufficiently high standard; or
- All other instruments at Grade 5 or above.
The Scholarships Office will notify you in writing to confirm your daughter’s eligibility to continue in her application for a music scholarship at Tara. Candidates who have not been approved for the Music Scholarship may apply for other scholarships at Tara.
Students who achieve a Music scholarship with Tara are expected to participate fully in the musical life of Tara, including performing in appropriate musical ensembles and study music consistently through to Year 12.
Foundation Scholarships are awarded each year to applicants commencing in Year 7 and are open to both current Tara students and external applicants. This scholarship is for candidates not otherwise able to attend Tara for financial reasons and they are means tested.
Boarding Scholarships are awarded each year to external applicants only, from regional areas, commencing in Years 7 through to 11. Families must be able to provide evidence of their home address being in a regional area of Australia, outside of Sydney.
The AAS Scholarship Examination will be held at Tara on Saturday 19 February 2022. Testing will be conducted between 8:45 am and 12:30 pm, please arrive no later than 8:20 am.
Parents will be welcome to join a School tour commencing at 9:00 am.
For more information contact the Registrar on 02 9630 6655 or firstname.lastname@example.org